Creamy Paleo Chicken Enchiladas Verdes are made with grain-free tortillas filled with seasoned, shredded chicken and topped with a combination of tomatillo salsa verde and “Cashew Sour Cream”. The resulting dish captures the essence of classic Chicken Enchiladas Verdes without the grains and dairy. The spiciness will depend in large measure upon the salsa you use – whether it be my homemade version or a jarred variety. The paleo tortillas lend a more “crepe-like” texture to the dish than standard tortillas. But I think you will agree creamy chicken-filled crepes are pretty delectable and should satisfy your craving for creamy chicken enchiladas quite well.
Cashew Sour Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup liquid (water, chicken stock or vegetable stock)
How to Make Cashew Sour Cream
- Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak for several hours or over night. (Alternatively, you can cover with water, heat to a simmer and turn off the heat and allow to soak for at least an hour)
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Place cashews in a food processor or high speed blender with the lemon juice, salt and about half the liquid. Pulse to process scraping the sides down as necessary. Add the remaining liquid and process for several minutes until extremely smooth.
Ingredients for Paleo Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 paleo tortillas
- 3 cups diced and/or shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream, (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- chicken stock
How to Make Creamy Paleo Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Combine the salsa verde and cashew sour cream in a medium sauce pan and heat slowly until warm. Season will salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix approximately 1 1/2 cups of the salsa/sour cream mixture with the shredded chicken.
- Roll 1/8th of the chicken mixture in each of the tortillas (about 1/3-1/2 cup each) and assemble the chicken enchiladas, side by side, in a pan (use 9 x 13 or similar size/shape).
- Top the chicken enchiladas with the remaining salsa/sour cream mixture. (Thin out the sauce with extra chicken stock if it is too thick after heating)
- Cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven and top with slices of avocado and scallions. Serve immediately.