Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)
- 10 medium tomatillos (approximately 2 lbs)
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1 medium-small poblano pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (about half a “bunch”)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the veggies (except the onion)- tomatillos, jalapeños, serranos, poblano and garlic – onto a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
- Roast under a hot broiler about 10 minutes per side (or until browned/slightly-blackened in spots)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Place the onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times.
- For a very hot salsa you can simply add the roasted veggies to the food processor with the other ingredients and continue to process until you have reached the desired consistency.
- If you prefer a mild salsa you should cut open the peppers and remove the seeds and the membrane surrounding the seeds. When I make it I leave in about half the seeds and membranes and it is on the medium hot side.