- Nothing White. This means no sugar, white flour (includes pasta, bread, muffins, etc), no white rice. Literally tell yourself, if its white and is not a vegetable or fruit, its off limits. Some products are not white but have multiple ingredients so this requires you to read labels and make sure none of the offending items are in it.
- No Alcohol. This was a big sacrifice for me at first because I was in my 20's with no children when I started eating clean. But it was a necessary sacrifice I would make 100 times over.
- Eat Healthy Sources of Fats. Make sure that you are getting your fats from natural healthy sources. Some great options are: avocado, olive oil coconut oil, and nuts.
- Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and lean meats. Quite honestly, you have a large variety of food available to you when eating clean it just may not be familiar to you.....yet. So try out some new recipe ideas with ingredients you have never tried before. You may find some whole foods you never knew you loved. And a big key to keep in mind is that you should never feel hungry or deprived. If you are doing it correctly, you will be moderately hungry before it is time for you to eat again. Staving off the hunger feeling will dramatically help with the sugar cravings and within a few weeks they should be gone completely.
- Treat Yourself. If there is something you just really love that is off limits when eating clean then it is acceptable and recommended to treat yourself occasionally. Be mindful though that this is a "cheat meal" and not an entire day or week. It is best to decide when you will have your cheat meal and how often. Make it part of your prep. This is your treat so have it and enjoy it but do not go overboard with it. If you choose to have some cake, don't eat the whole cake. Stick to the normal serving of that particular item. I personally love frozen yogurt covered with rainbow sprinkles and butterfinger so I get it on the way home from work almost every Friday.
- Stock a clean eating pantry and load the fridge up with fruits, vegetables, and lean meats. If you are looking for convenience stock your freezer with the frozen varieties. Just be sure the frozen fruit does not have added sugar.
Creamy Paleo Chicken Enchiladas Verdes are made with grain-free tortillas filled with seasoned, shredded chicken and topped with a combination of tomatillo salsa verde and “Cashew Sour Cream”. The resulting dish captures the essence of classic Chicken Enchiladas Verdes without the grains and dairy. The spiciness will depend in large measure upon the salsa you use – whether it be my homemade version or a jarred variety. The paleo tortillas lend a more “crepe-like” texture to the dish than standard tortillas. But I think you will agree creamy chicken-filled crepes are pretty delectable and should satisfy your craving for creamy chicken enchiladas quite well.
Cashew Sour Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup liquid (water, chicken stock or vegetable stock)
How to Make Cashew Sour Cream
- Place the cashews in a bowl, cover with water and allow to soak for several hours or over night. (Alternatively, you can cover with water, heat to a simmer and turn off the heat and allow to soak for at least an hour)
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Place cashews in a food processor or high speed blender with the lemon juice, salt and about half the liquid. Pulse to process scraping the sides down as necessary. Add the remaining liquid and process for several minutes until extremely smooth.
Ingredients for Paleo Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 paleo tortillas
- 3 cups diced and/or shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1 recipe cashew sour cream, (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- chicken stock
How to Make Creamy Paleo Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Combine the salsa verde and cashew sour cream in a medium sauce pan and heat slowly until warm. Season will salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix approximately 1 1/2 cups of the salsa/sour cream mixture with the shredded chicken.
- Roll 1/8th of the chicken mixture in each of the tortillas (about 1/3-1/2 cup each) and assemble the chicken enchiladas, side by side, in a pan (use 9 x 13 or similar size/shape).
- Top the chicken enchiladas with the remaining salsa/sour cream mixture. (Thin out the sauce with extra chicken stock if it is too thick after heating)
- Cover with aluminum foil and heat in the oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from the oven and top with slices of avocado and scallions. Serve immediately.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (Salsa Verde)Ingredients
- 10 medium tomatillos (approximately 2 lbs)
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1 medium-small poblano pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (about half a “bunch”)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the veggies (except the onion)- tomatillos, jalapeños, serranos, poblano and garlic – onto a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil.
- Roast under a hot broiler about 10 minutes per side (or until browned/slightly-blackened in spots)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Place the onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt into a food processor and pulse a few times.
- For a very hot salsa you can simply add the roasted veggies to the food processor with the other ingredients and continue to process until you have reached the desired consistency.
- If you prefer a mild salsa you should cut open the peppers and remove the seeds and the membrane surrounding the seeds. When I make it I leave in about half the seeds and membranes and it is on the medium hot side.
For those of us with dairy allergies or those that choose to eat a Paleo diet, giving up cream can be a real heart breaker because it is a real comfort food and just ads that smooth desirable texture. Well don't despair, here is a great substitute that will satisfy that craving for smooth cream while keeping to your vegan ways.
How to Make Raw Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews (whole cashews, not pieces)
- fresh, filtered water
- Rinse the cashews well, place in a bowl with enough water to cover them by about an inch. Cover the bowl and soak the cashews for a MINIMUM of two hours but preferably overnight.
- Drain the cashews, rinse under cold water and place into a food processor or high-speed blender with one cup of fresh, filtered water.
- Process on high for several minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides, until you have very creamy texture. (It may take some time.)
How long can you store cashew cream?You can store cashew cream in the refrigerator for about 3 days or in the freezer for six months.
- 2 Cups of Almond Flour
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead like a dough
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet or use a nonstick one and roll out the dough as think or thick as you like (You will have to adjust cooking time for your desired thickness, you can tell when its done by touching it and seeing if its to your liking)
- I made mine about 1/8 inch thick and baked it for 8 minutes and it was perfect
- Enjoy on many things just leave me some comments on what you use them for
1 - Preheat oven to 375
2 - Filet chicken breasts so you have breasts that are about 1/2 inch thick.
3 - Place squash, cut sides up, in microwaveable dish. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave on High 25 minutes or until fork-tender. Using a fork, scrape flesh from squash. Keep warm.
4 - Meanwhile, heat oven to 375°F. Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.
5 - In shallow dish, combine almond meal, 1/4 cup of cheese, and all the seasonings.
6 - In a bowl, beat eggs with a fork. (Optional to use applesauce instead of eggs)
7 - Dredge each filet chicken in egg (or applesauce). Then coat both sides of chicken with almond spice dry mixture. Place in sprayed baking dish. Spoon about 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce onto each chicken breast and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
8 - Bake 25 minutes until chicken is golden brown or until a thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°F and the juices run clear.
9 - Meanwhile, heat remaining spaghetti sauce in medium saucepan over medium heat. Serve with the chicken and spaghetti squash.